Gross Motor Skills
Gross motor skills are larger movement activities such as sitting, rolling, kneeling, crawling, walking, running, jumping, skipping and more!
Below are some ideas for providing your child gross motor opportunities at home.
- Crawling or walking over different pillows or blankets.
- Tall kneel walking across the room to complete a puzzle.
- Try walking at different speeds – super slow, slow, normal, fast and super fast
- Jog or run in place
- Jump over a piece of paper
- Freeze dance
- Jump up and down from a bottom step
- Rip scrap paper in half and jump from paper to paper.
- Play with cardboard boxes. Makes tunnels. Step in and out of the boxes.
- Jump side to side over a shoe lace on the floor.
- Dance party
- Make an indoor obstacle course
- Create a dance and teach it to someone else
- Indoor fitness – jumping jacks, mountain climbers, squat thrusts, etc.
- Yoga poses
- Jump over paper cups
- Put a small ball on top of a paper cup. Practice only kicking the ball off the cup without knocking the cup over.
- March to parade music.